ARE WE BETRAYING THE PLANET?
August 19, 2019
Human activities as substantial cause of Global Climate Change
- The long-term good health of populations depends on the continued stability and functioning of the biosphere’s ecological and physical systems, often referred to as life-support systems. We ignore this long-established historical truth at our peril: yet it is all too easy to overlook this dependency, particularly at a time when the human species is becoming increasingly urbanized and distanced from these natural systems. The world’s climate system is an integral part of this complex of life-supporting processes, one of many large natural systems that are now coming under pressure from the increasing weight of human numbers and economic activities.
In this busy, urbanized, and developed life we often neglect the harm we are creating for the environment. Its not the actual fault of human beings but then every individual should have that essence of responsibility towards the nature as this is the basic need for the survival. We must realize that we’re the ones who burn fossil fuels and clear trees that absorb carbon dioxide, sending heat-trapping gases into the atmosphere which eventually have a drastic effect on our lives only!
Earth's temperature depends on the balance between energy entering and leaving the planet’s system. When incoming energy from the sun is absorbed by the Earth system, Earth warms. When the sun’s energy is reflected back into space, Earth avoids warming. When absorbed energy is released back into space, Earth cools. Many factors, both natural and human, can cause changes in Earth’s energy balance, including variations in the sun's energy reaching Earth changes in the reflectivity of Earth’s atmosphere and surface changes in the greenhouse effect, which affects the amount of heat retained by Earth’s atmosphere.Recent climate changes, however, cannot be explained by natural causes alone. Research indicates that natural causes do not explain most observed warming, especially warming since the mid-20thcentury. Rather, it is extremely likely that human activities have been the dominant cause of that warming.
Sea levels are rising and oceans are becoming warmer. Longer, more intense droughts threaten crops, wildlife and freshwater supplies. From polar bears in the Arctic to marine turtles off the coast of Africa, our planet’s diversity of life is at risk from the changing climate.Climate change poses a fundamental threat to the places, species and people’s livelihoods. To adequately address this crisis we must urgently reduce carbon pollution and prepare for the consequences of global warming, which we are already experiencing.
- Human is the only living being on the earth that is responsible for the destruction of the environment.This is because of his ability to exploit the natural resources beyond the limits of safety.
Scientists in the United States and the world have reached an overwhelming consensus that climate change is real and caused primarily by human activity. Respected scientific organizations such as the National Academy of Science, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and World Meteorological Association (WMO) have all identified climate change as an urgent threat caused by humans that must be addressed. They contribute so much to exploit the environment. Some practices are as follows:
-Pollution: Humans pollute a lot and contribute to air pollution, water, sound, radiation, light and even soil pollution.This is due to many of the human activities like travel, power generation, industrial waste dumped into rivers, polyethylene waste, artificial methods used in agriculture, cell phones, wifi etc.
-Deforestation: Deforestation and widespread destruction of trees and plants in the name of expansion and urbanization drastically effect the environment around.
-Wastage of resources: We have been exploiting coal, petroleum for our needs by digging the earth crest for decades. Most of the extraction of petroleum is done in the name of storage for future needs. In future, if technology reverts to hydrogen fuels this petroleum stored might go waste. Also instead of natural methods, we use coal for power generation. This coal once dug leaves cavities in the earth surface. These cavities can be troublesome in times of floods and also cause of earthquakes. Also, we have been wasting many resources including soils, water.
- Human changes in land use and land cover have changed Earth’s reflectivity. Processes such as deforestation, reforestation, desertification, and urbanization often contribute to changes in climate in the places they occur. These effects may be significant regionally, but are smaller when averaged over the entire globe.
- In addition, human activities have generally increased the number of aerosol particles in the atmosphere. Overall, human-generated aerosols have a net cooling effect offsetting about one-third of the total warming effect associated with human greenhouse gas emissions. Reductions in overall aerosol emissions can therefore lead to more warming. However, targeted reductions in black carbon emissions can reduce warming.
- Promote aforestation. Forests are home to many of the world’s most endangered wildlife. They also protect the planet by absorbing carbon dioxide, a major source of pollution that causes climate change.
- Therefore we need to first establish more Centers of Excellence with regard to environment and environment protection similar to the Environmental Law Center at Lloyd Law College, Admission through Law Entrance Exam,
HUMANS AS A CAUSE
Lloyd Law College