Dr. Waqas Farooq Kuttay
- Position: Assistant Professor
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
PhD Political Science (Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi)
M. Phil. Development Studies (Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi)
Dr. Waqas Farooq Kuttay has a PhD degree in Political Science from Jamia Millia Islamia. His primary interest lies in studying elections and electoral behaviour particularly in conflict areas. He is also interested in State Politics in India, Political Theory, Western Political Thought and Philosophy. The title of his PhD dissertation was “The Paradox of Participation: Self-Determination Movement and Electoral Democracy in Jammu and Kashmir,” which studies the voting behaviour of people in a conflict zone like Kashmir.
Worked as research assistant to Dr. Eswaran Sreedharan at University of Pennsylvania Institute for the Advanced Study of India (UPIASI) for two months (July-August 2019).
- Published, a paper titled as, Changing Employment Patterns and Agricultural Distress in Rural Areas of Jammu and Kashmir in Journal of Rural Development, in National Institute of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj, Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India, Rajendranagar Hyderabad, Vol. 38, Issue 04, 555-579. October-December 2019 DOI: 10.25175/jrd/2019/v38/i4/150697 Print ISSN: 0970-3357 Online ISSN: 2582-4295
- Published (co-authored), a paper titled as, Memory, Temporality, and Representation: Remembering Kunan and Poshpora, in The Bede Athenaeum, published by St. Bede’s College, Shimla, India, Vol.11, No. 01, 41-52, March 2020 print ISSN 0976-0598, Online ISSN: 0976-1748
- Published (co-authored) a paper titled, Reservation in India: Is there a case for Reservation in Private Sector? Indian Journal of Dalit and Tribal Studies, Vol. 05, Issue. 02, July-December 2017, ISSN No. 2348-1757, pp 123-142 https://www.hersindia.org/journal-archive-pdf/Journal-2017/20170712-Vol5-Issue2-001-204.pdf
- Published Review Essay (three books), Lived and Survived Experiences, in The Book Review, published by The Book Review Literary Trust, New Delhi, Vol. XLIV, 01, January 2020 https://www.thebookreviewindia.org/lived-and-survived-experiences/
- Published Review Essay (four books), Kashmir: Land, People, Conflict, in The Book Review, published by The Book Review Literary Trust, New Delhi, XLVI, No.09, September 2022 https://www.thebookreviewindia.org/kashmir-land-people-conflict/
Papers Presented at National/International Conferences/Seminars/Workshops
- Presented a paper titled as “Partisanship and participation in electoral meetings and rallies in 2019 Lok Sabha elections” at Summer School titled as Analyzing Quantitative Data on Indian Politics held at Jagran Lakecity University (JLU), Bhopal from 19th June 2022 to 30th June 2022. The Workshop was organised by Lokniti, Center for Study of Developing Societies (CSDS) in collaboration with JLU.
- Presented a paper (Online) titled as “Elections in Conflict Areas: A Study of Jammu and Kashmir from 1996-2014” at 9th International Conference on Advance Research and Innovation conducted on 04th - 05th March, 2022. The conference was organized by CT University, Ludhiana in collaboration with WhiteLintGlobal.
- Review of Get Out the Vote: How to Increase Voter Turnout, by Donald
P. Green and Alan S. Gerber, Washington, DC: The Brookings Institutions
Published in Political Studies Review, Vol. 15(3), pp 493-494, June 2017 http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1478929917710165?journalCode=pswa
- Review of Pieces of Earth:
The Politics of Land
Grabbing in Kashmir, by Peer Ghulam Nabi
Suhail, Oxford University Press, New Delhi
Published in The Book Review, Vol XLII, No. 5, May 2018
- Review of What Happened to
Governance in Kashmir? by Aijaz
Ashraf Wani, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 2019
Published in The Book Review, Vol XLIII, No. 4, April 2019
- Review of Piece of War: Narratives of Resilience and Hope by Meha Dixit, Sage
Publications, New Delhi, 2020
Published in The Book Review, Vol. 45, No. 03, March 2021
- Review of A Strategic Myth: ‘Underdevelopment’ in Jammu and Kashmir
by Sehar Iqbal, Tulika Books, New Delhi, 2022
Published in The Book Review, Vol 46, No. 04, April 2022
- Participated in 12 day Summer School titled as “Analyzing Quantitative Data on Indian Politics” held at Jagran Lakecity University, Bhopal from 19th June 2022 to 30th June 2022. The Workshop was organised by Lokniti, Center for Study of Developing Societies (CSDS) in collaboration with Jagran Lakecity University.
- Participated in a week long workshop organized by Brown University International Advanced Research Institutes (BIARI) and Center for Policy Research (CPR), New Delhi titled “Seeing the State: Unpacking the Challenge of State Capacity and Development”, from January 08, 2020 to January 14, 2020 held at CPR, New Delhi.
- Participated in two month course at Center for Study of Developing Societies (CSDS), New Delhi titled as “Researching the Contemporary,” from July 04, 2017 to August 30, 2017.
- Participated in research methodology course at Center for Social Studies (CSS), Surat, titled as “Orientation Course in Social Science Research,” July 16, 2019 to July 20, 2019.
- Participated in MHRD-GIAN Course on “Quantitative Approaches in the Social Sciences: Survey, Experiment and Content Analysis” workshop from 27-31 March, 2017, Centre for Culture and Media Governance, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi